First up we have Cock-a-Doodle-Shoe on Sunday morning at the New Land Trust in Saranac, NY. The latest news from RD Jeremy Drowne is that the courses are marked and are in good shape – with the additional snow coming tomorrow they should be in great shape Sunday morning. More information can be found at the race Facebook page. Note that if you’re attending the race, both registration and the start involve some hiking in from the parking lot, so leave plenty of time to get registered and then hike to the start. Kids’ races start at 10 AM, 5k/10k start immediately after.
Unfortunately, the Nor’East Snowshoe Series evening race has been cancelled. The recent warm weather completely eliminated the snow base, and the forecasted storm isn’t expected to drop enough snow to provide decent snowshoeing conditions.
… and the forecast is even calling for a bit of fresh snow tomorrow afternoon and evening.
Signup is from 5:30-5:45 PM at the Gore Nordic Center. The race itself is free but requires a season pass or the purchase of an twilight trails pass, which is available for $12 starting at 4 PM. Print and fill out a race release to save time that night.
The course is 4 loops for a total of 5k and will be shared with Nordic skiers. While a full 4 loops isn’t required to participate, only those completing the 5k distance will receive series points.
All the relevant info can be found at our race page. The Tuesday evening races are scheduled for every week until 2/18 (conditions permitting) – while only the first and last race are part of the series, everyone is encouraged to go on other weeks and enjoy some early week snowshoeing fun!
Just got word that Saturday’s Nor’Easter 5k/10k snowshoe races have been cancelled due to lack of snow. While this is not a series race, it’s worth noting because several of the later Nor’Easter races are part of our series, including their evening race on Sunday January 19.
A second reminder that paper registrations for Cock-a-Doodle-Shoe need to be postmarked by Monday January 13 – after that you’ll be paying the day-of rate.
And finally, our next series race (conditions permitting) is coming up rapidly and on an unusual day – next Tuesday evening’s Gore Nordic Citizen’s 5k. Gore Nordic does have snow-making capability for that course, but keep an eye out as the date gets closer, since this weekend’s weather is supposed to be more like April than January…
Given the lack of snow and the predicted warm temperatures and rain at the end of the week and during the weekend, RD Bob Underwood has decided to postpone the Gurney Lane snowshoe race and fatbike festival that was scheduled for this Saturday 1/11. The new date will be Sunday, January 26.
Updated information is now posted for Brave the Blizzard (2/15), both Stone Bridge Caveman races (2/16), and Garnet Hill (2/29).