There are two that I’m aware of:
On Saturday, 1/13, the annual Whitaker Woods Snowshoe Scramble will be held in North Conway, NH. Their FB page notes that the forecast is calling for rain but they think there’s enough of a base that it won’t be a problem – probably a good idea to keep an eye out there or contact the RD for any updates as Saturday morning approaches.
On Sunday, 1/14, the fine folks at Goose Adventure Racing are holding their annual Mendon Winterfest 8k near Rochester, NY. I’ve done the various iterations of this race quite a few times over the last 12 years and can definitely recommend it – plus they’re supposed to get a healthy snow storm Friday night and Saturday morning, so conditions should be excellent.
It’s been a busy week at work, but I hope to have everything up in the next 48 hours!
The only one I’m aware of is the Frozen Assets 5k(ish) south of Rochester, put on by the fantastic crew at Goose Adventure Racing. Definitely looks to be a snowshoe race this year, and the temperatures should more than live up to the name of the race.
The second race in the 2017-18 series is coming up this Sunday – the Winter Magic 5k+ at Lowell Lake State Park in Londonderry VT. All the race info can be found by following the link but here are a few reminders:
- print out a copy of the registration form and bring it with you to save time that morning – the form also has all the race info on it
- parking, registration, and facilities are at Magic Mountain Ski Area, 495 Magic Mountain Access, Londonderry VT. Shuttles will run from 9 -10:30 AM to take runners to the race site – leave enough time to catch the shuttle.
- there is no runner parking at the race site – you MUST take the shuttle from Magic Mountain. Running or walking on Route 11 between Magic Mountain and the race site is very dangerous – the state permit to use the race site requires participants to take the shuttle.
- while the forecast for Sunday is warmer than it is for Saturday, it’s still going to be pretty cold, so bring a dry bag with extra clothing for after the race – depending on when you finish you might have to wait a few minutes for the shuttle to get back. There may be a heated tent to make the wait more comfortable but best to be prepared.
- if you need to rent snowshoes (limited supply) contact RD Mike Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-978-9705 ahead of time to reserve a pair
- smile and have fun – remember, you paid to do this to yourself!